Although finding best Android apps for performing a specific task sounds easy, but with more than 700,000 apps in the Google play store, it is a daunting task to find what you are looking for. In these blog post series we offer a list of apps that we think are the best in their class. The list is mainly based on our own experiences. However, we have also used the feedback that we have gotten from other Android users, as well as our online search on the users feedback. Since there are a lot of excellent android apps, we have decided to talk about them in a few blog posts. In Part 1 we talked about some of the excellent Android apps for productivity. In this post we talk about a few Android apps in music and audio category.
- TuneIn Radio (free, rating: 4.6/5): TuneIn lets you listen to the world’s radio with music, sports, news, talk, and comedy streaming from every continent. Enjoy 70,000 live radio stations and 2 million podcasts, concerts or shows on your Android phone or tablet.
- Pandora (free, rating: 4.5/5) : Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you’ll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians, or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. Pandora features hundreds of music and comedy genre stations ranging from Dubstep to Smooth Jazz to Power Workout.
- SoundCloud (free, rating: 4.3/5): if you want to hear fresh tracks from both new and established musicians and bands, this is the app for you. The music is free for listening and there is no ads. SoundCloud is one of the world’s leading social sound platform, with over ten hours of music & audio posted every minute. Its social capabilities allow you to follow musicians that you like and be notified when then have new music.
- SoundHound (free, rating: 4.4/5): this app enables users to identify music by playing, singing or humming a song. It is also possible to speak or type the name of the artist or song. After identifying the music, the app then returns the lyrics, links to videos on YouTube, links to iTunes, ringtones, the ability to launch Pandora Radio, as well as recommendations for other songs. Also a feature called LiveLyrics can display a song’s lyrics in time with the music.
- Shazam (free, rating: 4.5/5) : this app identifies songs in as little as 1 second. The user then can preview or buy the track, get streaming lyrics, or watch YouTube videos. User also can save and listen again (30 sec previews), see streaming lyrics sync with the music, buy tracks easily on Amazon MP3, listen to her/his tagged music in Spotify, share on Facebook & Twitter, and more.
- Sound Search for Google Play (free, rating: 4.4/5): the Google Play Sound Search widget can help you recognize music and songs playing around you. You can: identify songs directly from your homescreen, purchase identified songs straight from Google Play and add them to your Play Music library, keep a song identification history, synced across all of your Android devices, so you can purchase a song later.
- Songza (free, rating: 4.6/5): Songza is a music streaming and recommendation service. Its playlists are made by music experts. It recommends various playlists based on time of day and mood or activity. Songza offers playlists for activities such as waking up, working out, commuting, concentrating, unwinding, entertaining, and sleeping. Users can vote songs up or down, and the service will adapt to the user’s personal music preferences.
- Google play music (free, rating: 3.9/5) : Google Play Music makes it easy to discover, play and share the music on Android and the web. The Google Play Music app lets you listen to your music collection anywhere. All your music is stored online. With a monthly subscription you can: listen to unlimited songs, create custom radio from any song, artist or album, listen to radio without skip limits and more. If you don’t want to pay any monthly fee you still can use this app for uploading and listening to up to 20,000 of your own songs from your personal music collection.
- Amazon MP3 Music (free, rating: 3.4/5): this app can play your music stored in Amazon Cloud Player. Also user can shop for music on his/her Android phone or tablet. User can play music stored on his/her device, or download the music and listen offline. The free Amazon MP3 app for Android includes both the Amazon MP3 Store and Amazon Cloud Player. User can import 250 songs free, or subscribe to Cloud Player Premium and import up to 250,000 songs.
Please let us know what other great apps in the music and audio category you are enjoying.